Leo Baeck Summer University (LBSU) 2018
Summer School “Jewish Studies and Gender Research” July 16-28, 2018, Berlin
Selma Stern Zentrum für Jüdische Studien Berlin-Brandenburg (www.zentrum-juedische-studien.de)
The Leo Baeck Summer University 2018 on “Jewish Studies and Gender Research” intends to lay the foundation for an international network of doctoral candidates and postdoctoral researchers in the interdisciplinary field of Jewish studies.
The two-week summer school will focus on the application of theoretical approaches and research results in the field of gender research, within the genre of Jewish studies. In so doing we reject limitations to a single discipline, instead firmly embracing the inter- and transdisciplinary dialogue that will foment a multidimensional synergy between gender studies and Jewish studies, fields that themselves are conceptualized as interdisciplinary.
In addition to intensive workshops on basic theories of gender research and the potential application of gender-oriented theory formation in Jewish studies, there will be a special focus on presentation and discussion of research projects by participating students. Three thematic priorities will shape the program
- Cultural and religious gender images and rituals in Judaism
- Gender-related coding of knowledge in Jewish intellectual traditions
- Gender-related dimensions of anti-Semitic stereotyping
Guest lecturers will address these topics and dissect them further in one-day workshops. The summer school will be conducted in English.
Further information is available on www.lbsu.de
The program is open to doctoral students, postdocs, and in exceptional cases master’s students shortly before completion of degree
Completion of a project in the field of Jewish studies that focuses on gender as an analysis category
– Completed application form
– Copy of passport/ identity card
– Brief description of project proposal (max. 2 pages) – provide a maximum of ten book titles in your bibliography
– Academic resume (maximum 2 pages, including publications list)
– Name and contact information for the university instructor whom you have asked to provide a letter of recommendation (that person should send the letter as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2018)
Please send your application documents as a PDF file to email@example.com by March 1, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Participants may register for reasonably priced lodging (25 euros per night for a single bedroom with private bath, shared kitchen and laundry facility).
LBSU has applied for travel and accommodations subsidies for all participants (maximum 20 persons). If the application is successful, participants will receive grants to help cover the cost of travel and accommodations.
Application deadline: March 1, 2018
Decisions will be announced by April 15, 2018 Submission of a discussion paper: June 15, 2018 Summer school dates: July 16-28, 2018